August 14 - 21, 2021
SEA OF CORTEZ
DISCOVER THE BEAUTY OF THE "WORLD'SAQUARIUM"
ith legendary diver Jacques Cousteau describing the Sea of Cortez as the "world's aquarium", come and dive on untouched walls and reefs abounding in marine life.
The Sea of Cortez - known as the Gulf of California - is a breathtaking destination for scuba diving, snorkeling, sailing, boating, and exploring diverse marine creatures, with clear, deep waters, abundant sea life, golden sandy beaches and inspiring vistas.
The Sea of Cortez is very diverse and has a vast array of nudibranchs, blennies, jawfish, rays and guitarfish, schools of fish, eels, octopus, sea horses, frogfish, Mexican horn sharks, and the list goes on and on.
There is a lot of whale activity on this trip. You will see pilot, fin, and sperm whales. On the last day of diving, we do a dive in the morning then snorkel with whale sharks at Bahia de Los Angeles. By 3pm we start motoring back to Puerto Peñasco. Divers enjoy 3 - 4 dives per day and 2-night dives. There are 3 dive masters on board to lead dives and assist divers. Diving is done from zodiacs.
On board we will dine under the stars in a calm anchorage, socialize with our shipmates and make new friends. Then melt into a luxurious bunk in your own finely appointed cabin with private bathrooms and hot showers.
All in a day aboard Rocio, combined with personalized service to enhance your live aboard safety and fun. Dive into your dreams and see what Sea of Cortez diving is all about.
• Day 1 - Embark at 5pm in Puerto Peñasco. Depart at 6pm
• Day 2 - Wake up at Refugio Bay on Angel Island Potential Dive sites: Angel Rock, La Vela, Lolo’s Cove, Sunset Zodiak Cruise with Sea Lions
• Day 3 - Angel Island Potential Dive sites: Andrea’s Eagle, El Aquario, Las Vivoras, Las Vivoras including a night dive
• Day 4 - San Pedro Martir Potential Dive sites:
El Arroyo, Punta Martir (Sea Lions), Chayo’s Cove
• Day 5 - San Pedro Martir Potential Dive sites: Ravijunco, Xareni’s Pinnacle, Coronel, Morro, in the afternoon we go looking for whales!
• Day 6 - Salsipuedes & Animas Potential Dive sites: Los Cuervos, El Caballo, In Animas, El Lavadero, El Lavadero including a night dive
• Day 7 - Baja and Snorkeling with Whale Sharks in Bahia De Los Angeles Potential Dive sites: El Pescador, Baja Ca., start heading back to Puerto Penasco in afternoon
• Day 8 - Disembark at 7am
We will be doing fish surveys and data collection for the REEF organization and beach clean ups when we see a need! Project Aware speciality and certification card. There will also be a visit to a turtle farm.
Rocio Del Mar is based at Puerto Peñasco Mexico. You fly to Phoenix Arizona a take a 4 hour shuttle to the boat. We will feel very remote on board, seeing only one or two boats the whole week.
DiverMojo will have the whole boat so we will be able to make choices about dive sites and spend the week with kindred spirits.
The Rocio Del Mar
The Rocio Del Mar accommodates up to 20 guests. There are ten air-conditioned cabins that sleep two guests each. Each cabin is outfitted with drawers for storage. There is also storage space under the bottom bunks and clothing/towel hooks.
Each cabin also has its own bathroom with lavatory, shower, and toilet. With towels and dive deck towels provided, and these are changed mid-trip.
GOOD TO KNOW
A non-refundable deposit of $1000 will save your place. Space is limited, and is filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Passport is required.
Here’s to forever blowing bubbles,
• Proof of diving certification and dive insurance is required. Without proof, you will not be able to dive. NO EXCEPTIONS!
• Every diver is required to have a dive computer, safety sausage (SMB) and a whistle
• The dress is casual. Do not forget your hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
• All taxes & port fees
• All meals, snacks, and beverages including canned soft drinks
• Complimentary local beer and wine
• Tanks, weights and weight belts
• PADI specialty and certification card
• Flights to Phoenix
• National Park Fee ($28 per person)
• Nitrox Fee ($120 per person)
• Round Trip Transfers ($125 per person)
• Crew Tips
• Fuel Surcharge
• Dive insurance including repatriation (required); we like DAN.
• Travel Insurance (recommended); we like Allianz.